Isle of Skye – Sligachan, 1st – 5th July 2002

Day 1 (Monday)

We woke to the sound of rain on the tents, so did not really hurry to get up and cook breakfast. Fortunately the rain stopped by the time we were ready to leave the campsite. As the forecast for the rest of the day was not good, we decided to do a relatively easy walk over the hills near Glamaig, following the same route as the year before.

 We followed the path from the campsite before making our way across some boggy ground and up a ridge towards Beinn Dearg Mheadhonach. By now the weather was improving, so we had quite a good view of Marsco and Sgurr nan Gillean. We stopped at the top for some food, before continuing along the ridge to Bealach Mosgaraidh and Beinn Dearg Mhor.

 From the summit we followed the ridge for a short distance, and then descended a fairly steep scree to Bealach na Sgairde. By now the sun was coming out, so we decided to take a more interesting route up Glamaig, which involved some scrambling. At the top we decided to walk along the short ridge to the north, as we had plenty of time. From here we could see Portree – the largest town on Skye, and some of the surrounding islands.

 Returning to the summit of Glamaig, the route back to the campsite was down a very active scree slope. This was quite entertaining as the scree made for a very rapid descent, and we had to avoid one or two falling rocks! At one point the entire slope started moving.

 We returned to the campsite for food and a rest, before going to the bar for the rest of the evening.

 Day 2 (Tuesday)

 After a little rain in the early hours of the morning, we started walking from the campsite at Sligachan anticipating some good weather.  This was, according to the forecast, going to be the driest day of the week.  We set off along a path following the river Allt Bearg Deag, and headed towards Coire a Bhastier. 

 As we approached the Bhasteir gorge we left the river to start our scramble.  By now it was warm and sunny, and we made steady progress up the NE ridge of Sgurr a Bhasteir (a grade 1 scramble) making frequent breaks to eat, drink and admire the fantastic views that surrounded us.  What impressed us most was the Pinnacle ridge which lead to the summit of Sgurr nan Gillean (one for next year).

 Continuing upwards, we soon reached the top, and then Bealach na Lice.  Here we sat and ate our lunch as we watched two climbers abseiling after conquering the Bhasteir Tooth.  We then took a route up a short gulley to reach Sgurr a Fionn Choire.  From here another short scramble and then a path brought us to the summit of Bruach na Frithe, our first Munro of the trip!  On reaching the top, after being clear all morning, the clouds decided to close in, and we couldnt see a thing!  Half way down the mountain, the clouds cleared.  This happened all week, meaning that we never got a good view from any of the tops. Very annoying!

 Our decent returned to Bealach na Lice where a path took us down into Fionn Choire and then to the river Allt Dearg Mor which we followed back to Sligachan.  On the way back Phil spotted a pool in the river and decided to go for a paddle.  It wasnt long before this turned into a swim. Ben and Steve were also persuaded to join him. 

 Seeing rain was on its way, we headed for the campsite. Unfortunately was failed to avoid a soaking, so it was agreed that a pint would be the best way to dry out!

Leave a Reply

Scroll to top